Monday, October 1, 2012

MAC Whirly Bird CX 1/2/3

Front Row Call up. Legs feel good. Excited.
Take position on grid and receive officials instructions.
1 minute.
30 seconds.
Front brake locked, right pedal loaded, awaiting the start.
GO.

Ping click click click click Ping click click click click Ping click click click click Ping click click click click.Crunch. Ping click click click click Ping click click click click Ping click click click click Ping click click click click.Crunch. 

"Mike, Spoke Spoke Spoke Spoke"


I blew a spoke on my rear wheel 1 second into my race. It became lodged into cassette  causing to become locked. it then wrapped around my hub, and stuck out just enough to attempt a slice at both the seat and chain stays of the frame. 

By the time I made it out of the prologue loop there were already people on the shared driveway. I politely asked to come through, still thinking I could limp my bike the mile or so to the pit. It promptly froze up. I decided against running and headed for the car. 

1 comment:

Marten said...

Shoot, that sucks, but at least the derailleur didn't explode. I heard that ping literally right after the whistle blew.