Tuesday, May 1, 2012

BLP 2209 Grand Prix

While not my first time in the P/1/2/3 rodeo, it was my first time having not raced a Cat 3 race earlier in the day. My main goal was to support Craig and help him contest the field sprint I was sure would occur. Well that didn't happen. 


I was told (maybe half seriously) by this crazy triathlete that also races road bikes (*cough* Egan *cough*) That 1's and 2's animate the race. Now that I was a Cat 2, he expected such of me. 
Attacking started on Lap 1. The move looked like it was a bit or a threat, all be it early and I bridged up to it with a few others.

First thought: What the hell and I doing getting in a break in an elite race with 33 laps left?

Second thought: My legs don't really hurt yet... weird. Awesome.
Third thought: Oh shit everyone else thinks this is dumb too because they all sat up. Back to the bunch.
14 laps in a small move got clear. I had just come back from covering something but I was in position to hop on the bridge attempt. Over the bridge I went and into the 10 man break. 20 laps to go.
I made it a point not to look at the lap cards for a while, but occasional glances back seemed to show a pretty decent gap. I was still a bit in disbelief.



The the time gaps started coming in. "27 seconds". Wow this might work. Soon we were over 30 seconds. then 41. then the biggest I heard was 50 seconds. With 7 to go I finally felt like we had it. The break was still working together, although we had 3 or 4 guys who were not pulling at all. Nobody attacked until 2 to go and it was shut down. Across the line for the bell lap another jump went. I was able to make it across, but we sat up and the 4 other guys were able to catch back on. A 10 man sprint was inevitable. I took the first shot, and launched from 4th wheel on the inside of the winding uphill finish stretch. I pulled even with 1st wheel when 2 guys came over the top of me and pushed me over a bit into the gutter. I had to check up for a second before sprinting again. I crossed over the line in 5th place. 5th, in my first fully committed P/1/2/3. I was partially surprised, partially relieved, and partially stoked out of my mind. 


Lauren Festa Content: Lauren made the split in her race, attacked the heck out of it, and her team won the race. And then she went home and put a bone simulator on her back to heal it. Yes its still broken. HTFU points acquired. 

2 comments:

Marten said...

First, kudos to Lauren for not just racing, but going in and racing with panache! Second, congrats on the Cat 2 upgrade. Third, that's an awesome result! Seriously impressive.

Fatmarc Vanderbacon said...

that's rad.
YEAH FESTAS!

respect
vanderbacon