Monday, July 6, 2009

Virgina Field Testing on the Forth of July.

This post is all geeky training with a power meter stuff... you have been warned.
I haven't had the honor of suffering through the 20 minute test in a couple months and to my surprise a 20 minute outdoor test showed up on my calendar. I have never done one of these outside as completing the tests on the computrainer eliminates a lot of variables (temperature, terrain, wind, weather, etc.) Lauren and I were visiting her family in Virgina and the one ting they do have down here are flat, straight roads... perfect for this test. We'll get to it... I went out too slow and finished too hard. Previous best was 307 w. This time 311 w.

5 minute quarters looked as such: 304, 305, 308, 322 watts. I obviously took the first half a little too lightly if I was able to close at 322 w. I also suffered side stitches in the last 2 minutes which in my experience means I am way past my limit. The first 5 minutes or so are crucial for pacing as I have learned if you go out too hard, you WILL blow up and suffer in the 3rd 5 minute block.
311 w avg according to the SRM. not horrible, best output ever, but only 1.x percent faster than last time. Think I could have done a better ride if I had pushed a little harder from 8 minutes to 12 minutes. At my weight we are looking at ~4.3 w/kg at threashold.

No comments: