Monday, April 6, 2009

Visit PA Relay (MASS #1)

Last summer I raced at "The Farm" for the first time. It rocked, I crashed really bad in the XC but the course and atmosphere were awesome. The Visit PA team in conjunction with the MASS series out on a relay with a 4 hour, 4 person team handicapped open format. Fast guys get no points, not as fast guys get a few more points of a head start and the 4 person teams bust out as many laps as they can for 4 hours. My Visit PA VeganKuhnDogs ( its complicated) busted out 16 laps, good enough for about 15th out of 71 teams. A Devo team with all sub 14 yr old jrs won the Team Cup, which I think is sweet, I started racing when I was 12, and its nice to see kids enter the sport and put the Xbox down for a few hours.

The race:
Le Mans Start, had to run maybe .5 miles to the bikes. 71 people running in a mass start. I was in 4th maybe 45 seconds into the run when my legs remembered that I quit running when I was 18. I got the the bikes somewhere in the top ten and then had to hurdle through the "parking lot" to get back on track. It was painful but fun. The lap went well, The course has a nice mix of everything in a 15 minute package. Wide open fire road, punchy climbs, mud pit, rooty single track, twisty singletrack climb, sweet descent back down to the line.




Potentially the worst face I have ever made sprinting to a line.
More later...


No comments: